Malta’s Ultimate Travel Guide For Muslim Travellers
Malta is a popular destination for sand, sea, and sun! This beautiful archipelago of islands makes an ideal Muslim-friendly destination in Europe. Finding Halal food, a place to pray, top attractions to visit, and fun things to do are not that difficult if you refer to this travel guide to Malta for Muslims!
Basic info on Malta
Before we go ahead and go in-depth about the things to see and do in Malta, let us learn a thing or two about this beautiful country.
- The Maltese speak Malti and English. So, it is unlikely for you to experience a language barrier.
- Malta is on Central European Time (GMT/UTC +1)
- Malta uses Euro (€) as its currency.
- To commute from Malta to Gozo, you can use the car ferry operated by Gozo Channel. Boats and charter flights are another options.
- June till August is the peak season. During this time, hotels tend to be fully booked and the beaches will be packed with locals and tourists.
- November until March is the low season with average temperatures of 12°C to 18°C.
- There are several mosques in Malta that you can visit. Islamic Centre of Paola and Mariam Al-Batool Mosque are some of them.
Popular places to visit in Malta by Muslims
Malta is famous for its beautiful beaches, enchanting caves, historic towns, forts and old temples, and buildings. In this travel guide to Malta for Muslims, we will share with you some of the popular attractions that you should visit.
1. Comino Island
Comino island is a beautiful small island located between the Gozo and Malta islands. It is well-known for its Blue Lagoon Bay (home to one of the best beaches in Malta!) and historical buildings such as forts, chapels and old towers. Here, you can enjoy swimming in its crystal clear blue water or relaxing on its white sandy beach.
2. Megalithic Temples
When having a Halal holiday in Malta, you should also visit the UNESCO Heritage Site, Megalithic Temples of Malta. These are some of the prehistoric monuments that was built back in the 3rd millennium BC. It is an ideal place if you are a history lover!
3. Upper Barakka Gardens
Another famous attraction in Malta, ideal to be visited by Muslim travellers, is Upper Barrakka Gardens. It is a public square that offers a perfect spot to chill, relax, and do some people watching. Plus, you can enjoy the panoramic view of the Grand Harbour right from the garden.
4. Casa Rocca Piccola
If you are staying in the capital city of Malta, Valetta, you should also try to visit Casa Rocca Piccola. It is a famous mansion built in the 16th century that was once a home to the noble De Piro family. To learn more about the history of this palace, you can sign up to the guided tour.
5. Fort St. Elmo
Located in Maletta, Fort Saint Elmo is also one of the fun Muslim friendly places to visit in Malta. You can stop by at the waterfront fort to take photos of the old monuments or take in the gorgeous sea view from the fort.
Muslim friendly hotels for you to book in Malta
1. The Palace – AX Hotels
One of the Muslim friendly hotels in Malta that is ideal for Muslim families or travellers is The Palace – AX Hotels.
It is located in Sliema and just 5 minutes away from the beach. It is an elegant five-star hotel that offers you a splendid view of the ocean. The guest rooms at this hotel are luxuriously furnished and they come with complete amenities and nice decor.
- Address: High Street, SLM1542 Sliema, Malta
- Nearby Halal restaurants in Malta: Shakinah Restaurant and Mamounia Restaurant
2. Hilton Hotel Malta
Another Muslim friendly hotel is Hilton Hotel Malta. It is a top five-star hotel that is located in St. Julian’s. The guestrooms in Hilton offer you a panoramic view of the Mediterranean Sea. Plus, they are furnished elegantly and boats a luxury and modern decor.
- Address: Portomaso, STJ 4012 St Julian’s, Malta
- Nearby Halal restaurants in Malta: Golden Tulip Vivaldi and Water Biscuits Restaurants
3. Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
One of the best Muslim friendly hotels in Malta that you can consider is the five-star resort hotel, Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands. Located in Golden Bay, this luxury hotel provides you a stunning sea view and set in a lush countryside.
It is perfect for an intimate honeymoon vacation as well as a private family holiday. The hotel serves Halal food to its guests, but make sure you make your request in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Address: Golden Bay, MLH 5510 Mellieħa, Malta
- Nearby Halal restaurants: N/A
Halal restaurants in Malta for Muslim travellers to visit
Thanks to the Muslim population in Malta (about 3000 people), you will be able to enjoy Halal food during your Halal vacation on this beautiful island. In this travel guide to Malta for Muslims, we will share with you some of the best Halal restaurants in town that you can try!
1. Shakinah Restaurant
Located in St. Julian’s, Shakinah Restaurant is well-known amongst the locals for their scrumptious Indian food. Their food is authentic and you will love their flavorful chicken korma, chicken curry, biryani, and lamb bread.
- Address: 5, Gorg Borg Olivier Street, Balluta Square, Saint Julian’s, Island of Malta
- Phone number: +356 2731 8000
2. Ali Baba Restaurant
Located in II Gzira, Ali Baba is also one of the best Halal restaurants in Malta that you should try. This Halal eatery serves delicious Lebanese and Mediterranean food. If you decide to try dining at Ali Baba, you should try their mezze set and lamb cutlet.
- Address: 9 Ponsomby Street, Il Gzira, Island of Malta GZR 1075, Malta
- Phone number: +356 2134 0119
3. Moo’s Kebab
Another great place to enjoy Halal food while vacationing in Malta is at Moo’s Kebab. The restaurant is very quaint and features quite a beautiful interior decor. Here, you should try their doner kebab and hummus. You can also try their Halal pasta and burger.
- Address: 177 The Strand, Il Gzira, Island of Malta, Malta
- Phone number: +356 2755 7733
4. Falafel Street
If you are looking for something quick and cheap to grab for lunch, then you should head over to Falafel Street. It is located inside a shopping mall in Valetta. This small Halal restaurant serves delectable pittas, wraps, and kebabs.
- Address: Triq Ir-Repubblika, Valletta, Island of Malta, Malta
- Phone number: +356 2123 5460
5. House of Spice
Another perfect Halal eatery that you can go to enjoy delicious and spicy Indian food is at House of Spice. It is located in Bugibba and serves delicious Indian food! Here, you should try their lamb biryani rice, chickpeas curry, chicken madras, naan bread, and chicken tikka masala.
- Address: 48 Triq Il-Halel, Dolphin Building, St. Paul’s Bay, Bugibba, 2523, Malta
- Phone number: +356 2733 3281
Make this travel guide to Malta for Muslims as your travel companion!
We hope that this travel guide to Malta for Muslims has helped you in planning and organizing your holiday itinerary. Make sure you consider one of the Muslim friendly hotels in Malta above and book them to enjoy a pleasant stay during your vacation.
Plus, dine at one of the Halal restaurants above and visit the top attractions that we have recommended in this travel guide to Malta for Muslims. If you have any other suggestions for things to do and places to see, share with us your thoughts in the comment box below! 😀