Berlin Travel Guide For Muslim Travellers: Things To See And Do
Berlin – a beautiful city that is historically rich and most importantly, very Muslim friendly. It is home to the largest Turkish population in Europe, outside of Turkey. Today, it forms the second largest population in Germany! Hence, mosques and Halal restaurants are abundant in this city. If you are still trying to figure out your next holiday destination, we say: “Go for Berlin!” In this Berlin travel guide for Muslims, we will show you that this beautiful city makes a wonderful Halal holiday destination!
Berlin travel guide for Muslims – Why should you visit Berlin?
There are so many reasons why Muslim travellers should make the effort to visit the capital city of Germany, Berlin. In this Berlin travel guide for Muslims, we have compiled some of the lists:
- Long, dark, and humbling history. During your tour to some of the top historical attractions in Berlin, you can soak yourself in the dark history of the Cold War or World War II (WWII).
- Impressive monuments and amazing architectural buildings. When you are having a Halal holiday in Berlin, Germany, you will notice gorgeous and photo-worthy buildings every time you turn around!
- To enjoy the scrumptious Halal food. You do not have to worry about finding Halal food in Berlin. There are hundreds of Halal restaurants in Berlin for you to try. Don’t forget to taste their signature local dishes like the bread, pretzels, and coffee!
- Finding a prayer space is a breeze. There are more than 70 mosques in the city of Berlin. You can drop by anytime to pray or meet with the local Muslims in between your tours.
- Easy to get around and almost everyone can speak English. Germany is a very efficient country with a stable and well-planned public transport system. As a Muslim traveller, you will find it easy to get around the city and communicate with the locals.
Berlin travel guide for Muslims – Basic info
To ensure a smooth trip with your family or friends, make sure you know some of the following info about Germany’s capital city – Berlin.
- There are two main airports in Berlin. Berlin Tegel Airport is the main international airport and located about 12.9km from Berlin city. Berlin Schönefeld Airport is about 22.5km away. You can take the airport express train to get from the airport to the city centre.
- The best time to go to Berlin is during summer (May-Oct). Many tourists attested that Berlin has one of the best summer weather in Europe.
- Berlin is on GMT +2.
- The official currency of Berlin (and Germany) is Euro. You can find ATM machines everywhere. Credit cards are accepted but not that prevalent in small shops or restaurants.
- Don’t forget to give tips when you are in Berlin. For restaurants and taxis, 10% tips are ideal.
Muslim friendly hotels in Berlin that you can book
In this Berlin travel guide for Muslims, we have hand-picked several Muslim friendly hotels that you can book during your Halal vacation in the city. They ensure a pleasurable and convenient staying experience!
1. Holiday Inn Berlin-Alexanderplatz
One of the Muslim friendly hotels in Berlin that are ideal for Muslim travellers is Holiday Inn Berlin-Alexanderplatz.
Located right in the city center (Alexanderplatz is just 400 meters away!), the hotel can prepare your Halal breakfast meal if you request for it. Plus, you can also find several Halal restaurants near the hotel – Salsabil 2 Restaurant is one of them.
- Address: Theanolte-Bähnisch-Straße 2, Mitte, 10178 Berlin, Germany
- Nearest train station: Alexanderplatz underground station (500m away)
2. Regent Berlin
Regent Berlin is a five-star hotel that is suitable for Muslim travellers. It offers luxurious hotel rooms and opulent furnishings.
Here, you can dine at its Michelin restaurant and request for Halal cuisines in advance. Plus, the hotel also can provide an alcohol-free minibar and a prayer mat upon request.
- Address: Charlottenstr. 49, Mitte, 10117 Berlin, Germany
- Nearest train station: Französische Straße underground station (100m away)
3. Radisson Blu Hotel Berlin
Radisson Blu Hotel that is located in the Mitte neighborhood is another ideal hotel option for Muslim travellers.
This hotel has received a Bronze Salam Standard as they provide a prayer mat and Qiblah direction to their Muslim guests. Here, you will be able to stay in a spacious and luxurious hotel room. You can also find several Halal restaurants near this hotel!
- Address: Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 3, Mitte, 10178 Berlin, Germany
- Nearest train station: Berlin Central Station (2.4km away)
4. Hotel Villa Kastania
Are you travelling to Berlin with your spouse and children? One of the family and Muslim friendly hotels in Berlin is Hotel Villa Kastania. The five-star hotel offers soundproofed rooms that come with private balconies.
There is also a huge pool for your kids to enjoy. At Villa Kastania, you can request for an alcohol-free mini bar. You can easily get Halal food by dining at one of the nearby Halal restaurants (for example, Nour Restaurant & Cafe).
- Address: Kastanienallee 20, Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, 14052 Berlin, Germany
- Nearest train station: Theodor Heuss Platz underground station (300m away)
5. Hotel Zoo Berlin
Another family and Muslim friendly hotel in Berlin is the Hotel Zoo Berlin. This five-star hotel is located in the prime shopping area of Kurfürstendamm. It is strategically located as you can visit many nearby attractions such as Berlin Zoological Garden and The Brandenburg Gate.
At this Muslim friendly hotel, you can request to have an alcohol-free mini bar. Nearby Halal restaurants include Hasir Wilmersdorf, Vapiano, and Black & White.
- Address: Kurfürstendamm 25, Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, 10719 Berlin, Germany
- Nearest train station: Kurfürstendamm underground station (200m away)
5 Top Halal restaurants in Berlin Germany
Now that you know where to stay while having a Halal vacation in Berlin, let us figure out which top Halal restaurants in the city that you can visit to get your dose of Halal breakfast, lunch, or dinner! We have compiled some great Halal eateries in this Berlin travel guide for Muslims.
1. Yarok Fine
One of the top Halal restaurants in Berlin that you can try is Yarok Fine Restaurant. It is a cozy restaurant that serves fresh Halal Syrian food in a big portion at an affordable price! For about €8, you can get a big mixed plate. Plus it is located near to many attractions and museums in the city.
- Signature dishes: Falafel, hummus, shawarma, and kebab
- Address: Torstr. 195, 10115 Berlin, Germany
- Phone: +49 176 64734775
2. Mustafa Gemuse Kebab
Do you know where to get the best kebab in Berlin? It is at Mustafa Gemuse Kebab! It is a Turkish stall that serves freshly made Halal kebabs. Their kebabs come with juicy and homemade sauce and vegetables. It is one of the hot spots in Berlin that is always frequented by both locals and tourists alike.
- Signature dishes: Gemüse kebab
- Address: Mehringdamm 32, 10961 Berlin, Germany
- Phone: N/A
3. Baraka Restaurant
Craving for some good old Moroccan food while having a Halal holiday in Berlin? Then, you should head over to the Baraka Restaurant. Here, you can savour their delicious chicken tagine and the refreshing Moroccan mint tea. We suggest you try their mixed plate so that you can get a taste of every little thing!
- Signature dishes: chicken tagine, falafel, hummus, and grilled lamb
- Address: Lausitzer Platz 6, 10997 Berlin, Germany
- Phone: +49 6126 330
4. Tuk Tuk Indonesian Restaurant
Take a break from your hectic tour schedule and enjoy a flavorful meal at this Halal Asian restaurant – Tuk Tuk Indonesian Restaurant. It is the best place to enjoy fried rice, Nasi Padang (traditional Indonesian white rice meal), and chicken satay! Plus, you will enjoy the nice and cozy ambiance while dining at this restaurant.
- Signature dishes: Nasi Padang, Martabak, Satay, and Ikan Balado
- Address: Grossgoerschenstr. 2, 10827 Berlin, Germany
- Phone: +49 30 7811588
BurgerZone is another Halal fast food restaurant that you can stop by for lunch or dinner. Here, you should try their fresh and juicy hamburger – their food is bursting with flavors! For about €8, you will get two huge and tasty burgers, a big amount of fries, and soda drinks. Quite a bargain, eh?
- Signature dishes: BBQ burger, chicken burger
- Address: Maassenstr. 2, 10777 Berlin, Germany
- Phone: +49 30 00000
Top Muslim friendly attractions to visit in Berlin
In this Berlin travel guide for Muslims, we will guide you on some of the top attractions in Berlin that you should not miss visiting. Make sure you include them into your itinerary!
1. Brandenburg Gate
Brandenburg Gate is an iconic landmark in the capital city of Germany. It is a restored 18th-century gate that symbolizes German reunification.
When having a Halal vacation in Berlin, make sure you go to this attraction and take pictures with it. However, if you go during the peak hour, the place will be flocked by tourists as everyone will try to take a selfie or group photo with this gate as its background!
- Address: Pariser Platz, 10117 Berlin, Germany
- Nearest metro station: S+U Brandenburger Tor (266 meters away)
2. Reichstag building
Besides Brandenburg Gate, Berlin is also synonymous with Reichstag building. It is a house of parliament that boasts Renaissance and Baroque Revival architecture.
This iconic parliament building has a very fascinating story. History has it that this building has been bombed, burned, and rebuilt until it becomes what it is today! You can sign up for a tour to learn more about this beautiful building.
- Address: Platz der Republik 1
- Opening times: 8am – midnight
- Nearest metro station: U Bundestag (300 meters away)
Berlin has several main squares that have attracted many tourists in the city. One of the most famous squares in Berlin that Muslim travellers should visit is Alexanderplatz.
Located in the central Mitte district in Berlin, Alexanderplatz also functions as the city’s public transport hub. Here, you can do some shopping, try some of the famous German bread, watch street performances, and enjoy people watching.
- Address: 10178 Berlin, Germany
- Nearest metro station: S+U Bahnhof Alexanderplatz
4. Museum Island
Are you a history fan? Then, you should include Museum Island in your Berlin itinerary. You can visit five world-renowned museums at the Museum Island as it is designed as the historical sanctuary of arts and science.
The Bode Museum showcases amazing Byzantine arts, old coin collectibles, and art sculptures. The Neues Museum is an ideal museum for those who love the history of Ancient Egypt.
There is also a Pergamon Museum that is famous for its archaeological artifacts, Islamic arts, and classical antique collections. You can also visit the Altes Museum where it displays Berlin’s old arts and sculptures.
- Address: Am Lustgarten 10117 Berlin
- Opening times: Opens daily except Monday, 10am – 6pm
- Ticket fee: €18 for adults, free for children
- Nearest metro station: Alexanderplatz’s U and S-Bahn stations
5. Berlin Wall
One of the top attractions in Berlin that you should not miss visiting while touring the city is the famous Berlin Wall. It is the most potent symbol of the Cold War that has divided the city and the world for 28 years.
Here, you can learn more about its history by going to the Gedenkstätte Berliner Mauer that acts as a memorial and information center. You can look at the documentation, galleries, and photos of the Berlin Wall.
- Address: Berlin Wall Memorial, Bernauer Str. 111, 13355 Berlin, Germany
- Opening times: Opens daily, 8am – 10pm
- Ticket fee: €18 for adults, free for children
- Nearest metro station: Berlin Nordbahnhof S-Bahn station
Berlin travel guide for Muslims – Other interesting places to visit
- Potsdamer Platz
- The Fernsehturm Tower
- Checkpoint Charlie
- Charlottenburg Palace (the largest palace in Berlin)
- Berlin Cathedral
- The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
- Spree River
- The East Side Gallery
- Berlin Zoological Garden (oldest and famous zoo in Germany)
Berlin travel guide for Muslims – Use this guide as your reference!
As you can see, there are so many things to see and do while having a Halal vacation in Berlin, Germany. We hope that this Berlin travel guide for Muslims has helped you to discover the best hotels, Halal restaurants, and attractions to visit during your trip to Germany.
Have you been to this beautiful, historical city before? Share with us your experience by putting your comments in the box below! 🙂